The Geological Survey of Italy promotes divulgation activity including teaching courses at high school level, with the aim to promote and disseminate Earth Sciences disciplines, such as geology, hydrogeology, palaeontology, micropalaeontology, human palaeontology, volcanology and natural hazard. Seminars are free offered by experts from the Geological Survey to the schools upon request. Duration of seminars is variable, from 2 to 4 hours per day, following a previous agreement with the applying school. Seminars are performed with the support of Power Point presentations, videos, geological maps, and are frequently joint with practical exercises in laboratories. The lessons are differentiated based on the age of the students.
Moreover, ISPRA offers formation seminars on several environmental topics. Please visit the website for more information http://www.isprambiente.gov.it/it/formeducambiente
The seminars are offered on the following topics:
- PALAEONTOLOGY: The work of palaeontologist. Geological periods. The origin of life in the Earth. Fossils (macro and micro). Hominids and Homo sapiens.
- GEOLOGY - The work of geologist and the realization of geological map. The formation of Earth. Plate tectonics. The formation of mountains. Rocks and their use. Earthquakes.
- ASTRONOMIC GEOGRAPHY - Elements of astronomic geography. The formation of the universe. The solar system. The moon and the tides.
- GEOMORPHOLOGY - The orientation. The shape of the Earth. Topographic and thematic maps. Landscape modeling.
- VOLCANOLOGY – The volcanoes. Volcanic districts in Italy and in the world. HYDROLOGY- The water as an element of life. Aquifers and water springs. Hydrogeological instability phenomena (e.g. landslides).
- LANDSLIDES: What is a landslides and why it occur? Landslides characterization and monitoring. What are the prevention measures? Classification of landslides. What are the indicators to forecast landslides occurrence?
- FLOODS: What are floods and why do they occur? What’s the impact of floods? What are the responsabilitiies of human activities?
- AVALANCHES: What are avalanches? What hazard do an avalanche pose? What are prevention measures? The prevision of avalanche occurrence.
- LABORATORIES – Laboratory of Geology and Petrography: recognition of rocks and minerals. Laboratory of Palaeontology. Recognition of macro and micro fossils. Laboratory of mapping and photointerpretation. Reading topographic, geological and thematic maps. Stereoscopic analysis of air photos.