The Geological Survey preserves and manages the Geological and Historical Collections comprising about 150,000 paleontological, litho-mineralogical and historical artefacts, e.g. historical geological relief models and technical instruments used in the course of the Geological Survey's activities over more than a century. Preserved since 1885, for over 100 years, in the historical seat of the Museo Agrario Geologico in Largo Santa Susanna in Rome, they are the result of surveying activities for the preparation of the Geological Map, as well as donations and purchases. A recent agreement between ISPRA and MIBACT, decided that the Collections will be exhibited in a new museum called "Museo di Geopaleontologia italiana Quintino Sella" (Quintino Sella Museum of Italian Geopaleontology) which will be part of the "Museo delle Civiltà" (Museum of Civilisations). New exhibition spaces designed for this aim, with areas dedicated to teaching, multimedia communication, study and laboratories will allow the prestigious heritage to be available after more than twenty years since the closure of the historical site.
The Virtual museum of Geological and Historical Collections